To enter Timor-Leste as a tourist or on business, you must obtain an appropriate visa. In most cases, you can obtain a visa upon arrival.
Travelers must complete an arrivals card (available at the border post). If questioned, you must also be able to demonstrate:
- The intention of a genuine visit (as a tourist or business trip).
- Sufficient funds to support yourself for the period of a proposed stay without breaching visa conditions.
- That you have made appropriate accommodation arrangements.
In addition, you must:
- Hold a passport, or travel document, with an expiry date not less than 6 (six) months from the date of entry into Timor-Leste. The passport must have at least a whole unused page for the visa sticker.
- Hold a return or onward ticket or show the ability to fund your departure.
- Pay $30 visa fee in cash. Note that there may be no ATM or money change facilities so you should always try and ensure you have $30 with you.
There are different methods for obtaining the visa depending upon whether you are entering via a land border, or by air or sea.